About Me

My photo
In 2007, we started a ministry called NEAH (Not Even A Hint). Our Goal is to educate and encourage girls with God's truth. We provided what we liked to call 'NEAH events' for anyone who is interested. Through skits, music, fellowship, and lessons, we dive into what the Bible really says about purity. We tackled hard to talk about issues and shared our stories. Seeking the heart of God is such a joy. Now I am a speaker at Woman's events and I speak to girls of all ages. I still pull in the old team members and we are still loving the Lord. I also Speak at schools, small groups and churches. I can bring team members with me. If interested just send me a email. ~Seeking the heart of God~

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Taking out the trash-good read

This morning I stumbled across the wonderfully written blog.

I thought I would share-please take the time to read this, it really made me think.

Tally



Toss that Emotional Trash

Have you ever neglected to take out your garbage on collection day? Perhaps you forgot. Maybe you were just too tired, or you were out of town. Remember the result? First, an unpleasant odor. Then, an awful stench grows. And then, unwanted creatures such as gnats, flies, or maggots appear. The failure to properly dispose of our waste spawns all kinds of undesirable and unhealthy conditions.
Similarly, failure to deal with our hurts, insecurities, irritations, and disappointments in a proper and timely fashion adversely impacts our emotional and spiritual well-being. It can even repel those near us.
If you want your character to be one that positively influences others, then you need to be intentional about clearing out negative attitudes, thoughts, and feelings that are weighing you down. As the writer of Hebrews suggests in chapter 12, verse 1, we want to "throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles" and "run with perseverance the race marked out for us." It's our awareness of what's holding us back along with the commitment to take action that enables us to remove our emotional trash.
Since we all have plenty of heart-junk and only God knows everything that is in there; it's essential to carve out time for prayer and self-evaluation. Are you asking God to show you what bitterness, envy, or other negative thoughts and feelings you've grown accustomed to, are ignoring, or can't see?  Here are a couple of questions to help you get started. (You'll find a complete list, along with practical strategies for removing them, in Taking Out Your Emotional Trash).

What unfulfilled expectations or desires have become distorted by wrong thinking?

Sometimes our legitimate desires or unmet expectations can subtly or not so subtly become something we believe we need. 
There is a fine line between hoping a desire will be met and expecting and/or demanding that it be met. Be willing to grieve the loss of your desires. Surrender what can't be met right now or might never be met so that you can embrace the reality of what is.

What grudges or resentments do I have?

Like living near a fast food restaurant and getting used to the smells of grilled meats or spices, resentment is something we quickly grow used to. We become desensitized to its existence. 
One morning after reading Isaiah 43, I realized I was holding tightly to some old grudges about something someone had done to me years ago.
One simple prayer, admitting my unforgiveness and asking God to heal and restore my heart, made such a dramatic difference. I couldn't believe how light and free I felt compared to the months before. I wondered, Georgia, why did you hold onto those grudges for so long? I knew why. I had grown used to them. They had become such a part of me that I didn't notice how unattractive and unhealthy they were.
Trash removal is about getting rid of anything that corrupts your character so that you are free to be the person God created you to be. Be willing to take your emotional junk to the dumpster regularly. You will not only experience stronger relationships, better attitudes, and less stress, but you will also positively impact the lives of others. 
Shaffer book cover  *Adapted from Taking Out Your Emotional Trash (Harvest House, 2010) by Georgia Shaffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment